Thursday, 4 March 2010

Being called a Milf: compliment or slur?

Bllllimey egg creams are amazing! (It's a drink by the way with milk and soda and syrup...see, Americans just seem to see no problem with these bonkers creations, that's why they have so much more food than us. Blue cheese dressing, bacon with everything and syrup with everything else...) Also as you can see I found the REAL Sesame St cupcakes! I found a picture of some online ages ago and now I have the real deal! Hilarious, I can't believe it, I'm so happy. I just caught them in the corner of my eye in a shop window and did a Scooby-Doo double take like 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?' Of course they are here, where else.

In Chelsea market, sitting in the Milk Bar cafe place, about to get some serious lunch down me. The West Village is so nice. Iris is sleeping - I am crossing my everything and praying to all the Gods that she will stay that way then miraculously wake at 3.15 all fresh and ready for yoga.

Ooh salad is here. And it's a normal size! As in, edible in one sitting. Lynne has had to take two salads to go already cos they're just too huge to eat in one go. Funny funny. I am now onto my fresh waffle with maple syrup *nyaahhhmunchmunch mmmm nomnom !@>?**$$$!@>#! mmmm munch crunch nom nom NOM* WOW this is the best waffle ever. It's all gooey and warm and cakey, mmmmm. I urge people to come to Milk Bar. And Chelsea Market. And New York in general.
On second thoughts I urge people to fuck off, more for me.
Anyway I can totally justify this excessive indulgence - 5 flights of stairs at least twice a day every day? Hello legs of iron! Plus all the walking I'm doing anyway - I walked to my jazz class last night (20 blocks) having already walked home from Ripley Grier where Lynne's working (15) and we walked to 14th from home today (12). Plus Monday's epic mission. So I'm doing alright for exercise really.

My jazz class: awesome. There were 11 of us and it was taught by Andrea, a 50-something (maybe even 60-something) bottle blonde with a cracking sense of humour and a voice like Meryl Streep playing a slightly Southern hooker. Also the range of movement she has in her hips is insane.
Anyway, it started with a long warm up that really focused on technique and alignment which was brilliant for me. Straight away she called me on my well-known bad habit of locking my knees right back into hyperextension so that my back arches. She spotted it like THAT even under all my baggy layers (sorry Vanessa but she didn't tell us to take them off!)
She was very precise, very funny and very, very helpful. She came over and physically corrected my alignment a LOT which was fantastic - she did the same to all the new ones. Me, Matt, Mary Anne and Miriam - in the class there was also a Marcella and a Misty?! And a Bob, who looked exactly like Martin Freeman. Anyway after much warming up, limbering and pushing our muscles hard we did a simple combination to some funky groovy musac, did it in groups and all that malarkey, which was vair vair fun. And then I walked home through Times Square, got myself a Jamba Juice and tried out that soundtrack thing - Florence + the Machine proved very effective.


***
Kid's Yoga is coooooooooool! They are being butterflies right now but there's been coyotes, cows, dogs, cats, snakes...Jodie the teacher is great, when she wants them to cross their legs she goes 'a 1 2 3 criss-cross apple sauce!' Which rhymes better in an American accent. Think about it. And they all get a little foot rub with banana lotion at the end! Rad, so jealous.

Oh, the title by the way - I did get called a Milf yesterday. Am still in two minds about what the correct reaction should be here - offence or gratitude? Better than a Miwlf I guess.




Below is some cool art I saw in the Soho/West Village area...I forget ezzackly where I was. There was a lot of it around. I generally had a great time having a little stroll around 13th and 9th (where Soho house is - also Stephen Daldry lives round there somewhere) .







Albert says LOVE


Like this place hasn't had enough trouble from giant gorillas and dinosaurs, now they get rats too???



There was some kind of protest going on...I heard one of the NYPD say it was a strike of the TWU (transportation-type people I think). They were all gathering outside Mustang Harry's - obviously a perfect venue for a rally because it is so well-known, not - with placards and megaphones and playing The Who on a boombox and whatnot. We could hear the yelling from the apartment for like 2 hours.



Oh yeah, the rat may or may not have had anything to do with it.



And now I am going to go lick George Clooney's face. Suck it up girlfriends!
























2 comments:

  1. Can you bring me back a godzilla Rat pweeeeassee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...........I'm pretty sure it would tip me over the luggage weight limit. Come over and get one!

    ReplyDelete